Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 1999 08:58:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Evan Leibovitch <evan@telly.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   A portable version of 'sar'

In an attempt to improve the abiility of free-software operating systems'
ability to report on their performance, I (and some other people at my
company, Starnix) have started a project to create an open version of the
System V program "sar".

Furthermore, we've been able to convince SCO -- current owner of the
"official" Unix code -- to open up the actual code to 'sar':

http://www.sco.com/press/releases/1999/6868.html

It's our intention to keep "osar" as portable as possible, and we can
certainly use some help with people who are familiar with the ability to
extract performance information from the BSD kernel.

Please have a look at the website for this project at
http://www.starnix.com/osar/ , and join the associated mailing list if
interested.

Thanks!

- Evan