Date:      Mon, 27 May 2002 01:00:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Patrick Thomas <root@utility.clubscholarship.com>
To:        <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   scsi disk geometry problems - cannot install FreeBSD.

The problem is simple - I boot, enter custom install, set partition and
labels and distributions, then commit the installation.

The installer creates and initializes my partitions and reports success,
then it starts to (try) to extract bin, man, ports, etc., and fails with

......"Unable to transfer the bin distribution from acd0c."

------

I think this is a problem with having the wrong geometry for my scsi
disks.

dmesg says that my PERC 3 volumes have 71091456 sectors, but the partition
editor reports:

4425/255/63 = 71087625

which is different.

-------

So I tried two things.  First I just used the 'F' option in partition
editor and answered "no" to the "remain cooperative" question, since
freebsd will be the only OS on this system.  This did not work - got the
same behavior.

Then, I tried both  X/32/64  AND  X/64/32 ... but since 64*32 = 2048, and
71091456 / 2048 = a fractional number, I had to round it to 34712.

That didn't work either.

--------

So I'm stuck.  Apparently dangerously dedicated is worthless, even though
everyone claims that I don't need to worry about geometry if I use "DD".
Further, the 64/32 trick makes no sense, because to make the numbers work
out with the sectors information dmesg is giving me, I get a fractional
number.

The PERC controller says the volume is 33.9 gigs.

QUESTIONS:

- what number do I put in with x/64/32 if my controller says it is "33.9
gigs" ?  (since I'm sure it isn't just 33900) (and the logical choice that
jives with the 71091456 dmesg tells me ends up being a fractional number)

- If my disk manufacturer says:  30,200 cylinders, 4 heads, and "432 to
737" sectors/track, how do I input that into freeBSD (since 432-737 is a
range)

- what the heck do I need to do to make this work ?

thanks,  PT

[p.s. this is my drive that I am using:
http://www.its.unimelb.edu.au/ucs/info/storage/fuj_scsi.html - I use the
MAN3367 drive ]