Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 2013 00:17:15 +0000
From:      "Scott, Brian" <brian.scott4@det.nsw.edu.au>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org stable" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Flow monitoring with PF

>I was looking at trying out flow monitoring and I found pfflowd, but unf=
ortunately it does not work with FreeBSD >9.0. I thought about ng_netflow=
=20but that doesn't >see my tun interface which may be related to..
>WARNING: attempt to domain_add(netgraph) after domainfinalize()

Noise message. I've never seen it actually mean anything.

The problem is that tun0 is a generic network interface. Ng_ether only ex=
poses Ethernet devices. The equivalent to tun but for an Ethernet device =
is tap. Creating a tap device after boot immediately creates the correspo=
nding ng_ether node which can then be plumbed into ng_netflow.

Some software is kind enough to work with either tun or tap as a configur=
able option.

>Does anyone have any recommendations for generating flow information fro=
m PF?

I've had great success with ng_netflow. I like the fact that all the proc=
essing is in-kernel.