Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 1998 22:15:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas Valentino Crimi <tcrimi+@andrew.cmu.edu>
To:        "Justin M. Seger" <jseger@freebsd.scds.com>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Steps to install on an AlphaStation 200?

Excerpts from mail: 13-Oct-98 Steps to install on an Alph.. by "Justin
M. Seger"@freebs
>Hi guys.  Do we have a procedure to install the latest binary snapshot on an
>AlphaStation 200?  I have a NetBSD boot disk, and the latest FreeBSD alpha
>snapshot.  Any further instructions would be appreciated.

   Well, lets start off by saying that if you have a ZXLp-E card, it'll
take a bit before you'll get a working console on FreeBSD.  If you have
such a video card, pull it out and put it somewhere warm and safe,
actually, I havn't tried to check if it's presence crashes a machine
without sc0 enabled. You will have to have an sc0 disabled kernel anyway
for it to finish booting without any graphics card.  If you don't have
such a graphics card, just ignore me ;)

 Otherwise, to install:

  Boot the NetBSD disk, it has a rather simple install procedure, copy
down your drive cyl/head/sector numbers as detected by the kernel and
feed it to the install script which will newfs your drive, then you're
dropped into a shell to continue installation.

  grab a FreeBSD kernel, either from dfr or msmith's homedirectories on
www.freebsd.org.  ~dfr has the sc0 enabled kernel and msmith has the
sc0-disabled kernel. Of course note that if you have the sc0-disabled
kernel, you're gonig to be doing all of this from a serial console.

  get the binrary distribs, conviently located at
ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/development/alpha,

  Note that the netbsd bootloaders look for the kernel in /netbsd I
havn't had the courage to modify my bootblocks yet (anyone know if it's
fully implemented?) since i've seen lots of activity in that area.  So,
if you're like me or even if you aren't, keep a copy of the kernle in
/netbsd

  Also, before rebooting, edit /etc/fstab, NetBSD calls its filesystems
ffs while FreeBSD calls it ufs, this will confuse mount (and confused
me) to no end.

  I think that wraps up my experience. I'm trying to get an ZXLp driver
put together and will at least be able to begin after I finish a bad
weeks' worth of work and midterms.  From teh looks of things a proper
Alpha install disk will be available soon.