Date:      Sat, 23 Feb 2008 19:15:39 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-keyword-freebsdhackers2.e313df@mired.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: find -lname and -ilname implemented

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 16:28:36 -0700 (MST) "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:

> In message: <20080223155355.3f80b77f@bhuda.mired.org>
>             Mike Meyer <mwm-keyword-freebsdhackers2.e313df@mired.org> writes:
> : > In short, I'm continuig the long tradition that we've done as FreeBSD
> : > and that BSD and other Unix vendors did before us: compatibility with
> : > other implementations.
> :
> : I suspect your definition of "long tradition" is a lot shorter than
> : mine. That's they only way I can make that statement make sense - at
> : least the part about BSD and other Unix vendors.
>
> Long tradition here spans about 30 years.  SunOS 3.5 had many switches
> that did nothing, but were there for compatibility with System III
> systems, as one example.

That's one example. On the other hand, trying to go from SunOS 3 or 4
(or BSD 4) to other systems - HPUX, AIX, OSF, RiscOS, UniCOS and SunOS
5 being the easy ones to recall - left users wondering what the hell
had hit them. Being compatible with other vendors was so unimportant
to most vendors that the unix market was generally regarded as
balkanized.

	<mike