Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 07:09:52 -0500
From:      "Robin S . Socha" <robin@socha.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   fsck fails  - inode not found

Dear all,

I wish I could have lurked longer than 3 days, but...

I'm running FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE (Intel Pentium, IDE - stock hardware) on our
company mailserver. I tried updating to 3.3 this morning via cvsup.
The server crashed for no apparent reason. fsck bails out during its
Connectivity Check, saying "inode 90459... not found". The partition can be
mounted and I've managed to make a backup of the few files I've already
altered. However, I'm loath to reinstalling the entire machine. Does fsck's
error message ring any kind of bell for anyone?

Thanks in advance,
Robin