Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 09:11:48 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISDN Modems

As Peter Korsten wrote:

> Personally, I think your own ISDN router is a bit overkill at home.
> The elegant thing about an ISDN card is that it's a digital interface,
> just like Ethernet, that plugs right into your computer. No fuss
> with wiring, just a simple RJ-45 plug and your connected to the
> rest of the world.

You've got a few more advantages.  The ISDN card isn't bound to only
access the bearer service `64k data', you can access the voice
services as well, thus making it an intelligent answer machine.  Just
detect the phone number of the incoming call, then decide whether to
auto-answer the call or not, and how to do it.

,,Hello, my dear friend xxx.  Thanks for leaving your phone number so
i could recognize you.  Sorry to say, i'm not at home, but you can
reach me at yyyy's number.''

:-)

--
cheers, J"org