Date:      Wed, 03 May 2000 12:16:56 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPS heads up

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <200005031744.KAA63550@apollo.backplane.com>, Matthew Dillon writes:
> >    Ok, this has nothing to do with FreeBSD, but I just had to post
> >    something since nobody else has.
> >
> >    By presidential order, on May 1 the error introduced into the GPS
> >    system, called 'SA', was turned off.
> >
> >    This means that your GPS receivers are now around 5-10 times more accurate
> >    then they were before May 1st.
>
> This has nothing to do with FreeBSD unless you count NTP servers,
> but actual data can be found on:
>
>         http://212.242.40.185/cgi-bin/ppsoffset.cgi

It may not have anything to do with the OS FreeBSD but it has a lot to
do with what we can do easily and for a really modest price. The
techno-farms need to know where they are at in a field when they
record data. The old offset error made it such that the operator knew
where they were but the computer couldn't tell which field they were
in. A simple differential was expensive. Now, you don't have the wild
swings and two computers recording data using the GPS derived time may
be close enough to record which plant they are taking data for.

Kent

> This is "gps.freebsd.dk" one of, if not the, most precise NTP stratum 1
> servers in the world: +/- 20nsec.
>
> --
> FreeBSD coreteam member | BSD since 4.3-tahoe

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME