Date:      Fri, 13 Jun 2008 13:12:07 +0200
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@hergotha.csail.mit.edu>
Cc:        brooks@freebsd.org, net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ssh window

Garrett Wollman <wollman@hergotha.csail.mit.edu> writes:
> Am I the only one who would be happier if openssh were not in the base
> system at all?  I always have to install the port anyway; having it in
> the base just gives me more files I need to delete after an install.

Well, it's not going to get any better if you don't talk to me about
it.  I don't read minds.

As for the OP:

Randy Bush <randy@psg.com> writes:
> this has been a cause of great pain for a loooong time.
>
>    http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh/
>
> as openssh seems not to be fixing it (and i do not consider a 2mb fixed
> buffer to be fixed, especially not from a 100mb link here in tokyo and
> servers in the states, europe, and africa), perhaps i could convince
> freebsd net folk to do so?

OpenSSH is not within the purview of the "freebsd net folk".  If you
have an issue with OpenSSH, you need to talk to me.

The last time I was asked to apply the HPN patches to base, IIRC, they
had not yet been submitted to (and rejected by) the upstream vendor, so
I decided to wait and see.

The NoneCipher issue comes up regularly, and is on my todo list for the
5.0p1 upgrade (along with several other things, such as changing the
default key type back to RSA).  I hope to import 5.0p1 as soon as we
have a vendor import policy in place for Subversion.

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav - des@des.no