Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2001 15:39:33 -0500
From:      "ScaryG" <freymann@scaryg.shacknet.nu>
To:        "Steve Brown" <gtabug@prayforwind.com>, "Fuji Zhang" <fzhang3@csd.uwo.ca>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: high speed internet connection and lesstif question

> I believe your [Fuji Zhang's] best bet is to forget the USB,
> part with you're $25 -> $30 (CDN) and pick up an
> ethernet card. Make sure it's on this list:
>
>  ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.4-RELEASE/HARDWARE.TXT

 Couldn't agree more!

> A few good reasons to stick with Ethernet:
>
> - It will also work with a cable modem if you decide to try Rogers/Shaw
> - or any other ISP's DSL package
> - If you decide to share the connection with more than 1 computer via BB
> router (Link-Sys, SMC Barricade, etc) you'll already be prepared. These
> goodies cost under $140 CDN and you get the benefit of an IP firewall as
> well.

 More good info. I often wondered if I should have just broke down and
bought a Netgear RT314 and saved me some grief configuring my FreeBSD box
but hey, I had all the stuff here and it didn't cost me anything but time. I
have two NICS in my box in which the second feeds a hub and my other
machines.

 But for those not willing to goof around with NAT and IPFW in addition to
trying PPPoE the Internet Gateway gadgets are a nice idea.

> ScaryG has it right about the ppp.conf and kernel config. I -did- have to
> re-compile my 4.4 kernel to get it to work, the handbook does appear to be
> wrong on this.

 Really? This is still goofy? I re-read over the PPPoE section in the
handbook and was happy to see you could just run with it without compiling.
I wonder why the handbook would suggest recompiling the kernel with the four
options is not required when you say it is? Odd.

 Oh well, rock on with your bad self.

--
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day.
Tomorrow isn't looking good either.