Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 1997 19:46:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
Cc:        Brian Tao <taob@vex.net>, "matthew c. mead" <mmead@goof.com>, isp@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd as a news server?

On Tue, 11 Mar 1997, Michael Hancock wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Mar 1997, Tom Samplonius wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 11 Mar 1997, Michael Hancock wrote:

> > > I've been using -i 3072 -b 4096 -f 1024 -a 8 for non-binary newsgroups and
> > > the default for binary newsgroups.
> > >
> > > This way news articles on average will fit in a block.
> >
> >   You always want maxcontig to beigger than 8.  It has nothing to do with
> > file allocation, only have many sectors are transfered at once to the
> > driver.
>
> And the magic number is ____.

  As big as possible.  All the disk drivers should be able to handle at
least 128.  I don't really know how big it can be.  256?  1024?

  A too small maxcontig will hamper scatter/gather.  I noticed that by
looking at the sps and tps values from iostat that it was never
transfering more than 16 sectors per transfer.  I bumped up maxcontig, and
noticed a nice performance increase (at least for my application).

  The default maxcontig setting for 2.1.x is just way too small.

Tom