Date:      Sat, 4 Jan 2014 23:20:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:  How to make boot wait a few seconds more for device response?

> I think vfs.mountroot.timeout is the tunable that gets the effect you
> want.  It defaults to 3 seconds.

-- Ian

I don't see this documented anywhere, looked through "man loader.conf" and /boot/defaults/loader.conf .

Is vfs.mountroot.timeout in milliseconds, like 3000 for default?

I guess I could set vfs.mountroot.timeout=15000 then?

I could also try setting kern.cam.boot.delay to something higher than the default 10000, though it seems 10 seconds should be long enough.

Or maybe kern.cam.scsi delay to something higher than the default 2000.  Maybe that would help avoid problems with wlan0 going down and up with USB-stick wireless adapter Hiro H50191, device rsu, especially on FreeBSD 10-prerelease amd64?  I also get kernel messages throwing mud in my face about the Logitech USB mouse disconnecting when it's really connected and active.

But I really ought to try with FreeBSD 10-prerelease i386 on USB 3.0 stick and 11-headamd64 and i386 onhard drive.

Tom