Date:      Sat, 23 Aug 2003 22:00:23 -0700
From:      Thomas Smith <tom@openadventures.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MAC Addr Cloning

Dan Nelson wrote:

>In the last episode (Aug 23), Thomas Smith said:
>

>>I have a Cox Internet connection that I currently use a Netgear
>>router with. I'd like to hook my FreeBSD box to that connection and
>>use it instead. The problem is that Cox provisions accounts and if
>>the MAC address changes they have to be called to reprovision the
>>account.
>>
>>What I'd like to do is configure one of my NICs to clone the MAC of
>>the router. How is this done in FreeBSD?
>>

>ifconfig fxp0 ether 01:02:03:04:05:06

Excellent! This worked.

What I was doing wrong was including the "ether" value as part of a
complete string. For example:

ifconfig dc0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 ether 00:00:00:00:00:00

This would return an error. This appearently has to do with the layer
the MAC works on versus the IP--since they're on different layers I have
to configure them seperately.

Thanks for the input. Thanks also to the other poster, Louis LeBlanc.

FYI to Louis: If you add a line, as follows, in your /etc/rc.conf you
can be ride of the "start_if.x10" file.

ifconfig_x10="ether 00:00:00:00:00:00"

I thought this may prove useful to you.