Date:      Sun, 3 Sep 2000 01:24:28 -0700
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        Allen Campbell <allenc@verinet.com>, Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bad 16550A maybe?

On Sat, Sep 02, 2000 at 07:58:26PM -0600, Nate Williams wrote:
[snip]
> The only modifications were to continually upgrade the software such as
> BIND and SENDMAIL where remote root exploits were possible, but
> otherwise it's a stock FreeBSD 2.2.8 system.  (No X, of course.)

I assume you mean it is a FreeBSD 2.2.8-STABLE. There are some
security fixes that were never backported to 2.2.8. I hope you don't
have /proc mounted for example. If it's 2.2.8-RELEASE there are more
things to be fixed. If security is a concern on this platform, the
fact that security fixes have not been and will no longer be
backported is something to consider.
--
Crist J. Clark                           cjclark@alum.mit.com