Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 10:55:36 -0800
From:      "Craig Burgess" <craig-burgess@home.net>
To:        <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   msg: '/kernel: file: table is full'

I am mostly clueless here. Following CVSUP for source and ports from 4.1.1 i
am now running

   FreeBSD Felix 4.2-STABLE FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE #8: Sun Jan 21 17:57:41 PST
2001
   craig@Felix:/usr/src/sys/compile/FELIX  alpha

i received the error msg noted above and recorded in /var/log/messages

dmesg produces only what appears to be dates:
  > dmesg
  1992, 1993, 1994

This also appeared in messages
  Jan 21 23:16:58 Felix /kernel: b0[spade]118>.01 httpd
  Jan 21 23:22:28 Felix /kernel: Unive
  Jan 21 23:22:28 Felix /kernel: QUENTI
  Jan 21 23:22:28 Felix /kernel: S_SYSL
  Jan 21 23:22:28 Felix /kernel: ebug-l
  Jan 21 23:24:58 Felix /kernel:

(in the first line [spade] was displayed as a spade symbol)

I stopped the web server and the error msg stopped

What additional information is needed to guide me to a fix? I can follow
instructions but i think that i'm way over my head here.

craig burgess