Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2012 19:10:35 +0200
From:      Bernhard Schmidt <bschmidt@techwires.net>
To:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Feature-poor default WPA userland software (hostapd, wpa_supplicant) configuration -- is it inetntional?

On Friday 24 August 2012 18:46:23 Adrian Chadd wrote:
> Enable, play and see?

ACK.

> On Aug 24, 2012 9:22 AM, "Lev Serebryakov" <lev@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > Hello, freebsd-wireless.
> >
> >   hostapd and wpa_supplicat have support for many compile-time
> > options, most of which are disabled (not enabled) by FreeBSD build
> > system. 802.11w, 802.11r and WPS support are most notable ones.
> >
> >   Is it intentional, or ``by chance''? Does these features support by
> >  FreeBSD 802.11 stack (and does special support from drivers needed
> >  for them), and these options could be enabled, or they needed more
> >  kernel-side code?

There is more interesting stuff available which needs someone to look
into, eg. briding support and VLANs. I guess the bridging stuff is
required to get 11r running. 11w though requires hardware support if
I'm not totally of.

There are even a lot of 11n options available which are currently not
supported nor in any other way tunable, this requires stack work, not
only for the supplicant but also for ifconfig.

--
Bernhard