Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 2002 14:05:04 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Ryan Sommers <ryans@gamersimpact.com>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: New to GNOME help.

> Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 14:36:13 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Ryan Sommers <ryans@gamersimpact.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> I was wondering if someone could take a few minutes and answer a few
> questions I have about GNOME, X and FreeBSD.
>
> I installed all the above from FTP.
>
> FreeBSD lobo 4.6.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.6.1-RELEASE
>
> Every screenshot of "GNOME" I see has icons on the desktop. I start
> GNOME/Enlightenment and I see no icons. Is that a different WM? If so,
> which one?
>
> Second bunch of questions are all related. How can you figure out what
> version of GNOME you have? Which, 1.x or 2.0, gets installed with 4.6?

The icons on the desktop are part of nautilus, a management utility that is
installed with gnome, but which you probably are not running. Just
enter "nautilus" in a terminal window to start it. It's not a WM, so
you still need Enlightenment or Sawfish or some other WM.

If you just installed "gnome", it's 1.4. You need to explicitly
install gnome2 to get V2.

Unless you want to play with it, I'd suggest waiting a bit before
trying V2. Monitor the gnome list and watch for word that all of the
new .mk files are working and that support for gnome v1 apps in gnome
v2 is stable. (Others may disagree with this opinion.)

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)