Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 1999 01:27:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Idea for console graphics library

There's been a lot of talk about a console graphics library.  First off,
you'd have to maintain a library of drivers for each video card.  So, I
suggest this:

Why don't we or the XFree86 project fork off a branch dedicated to console
graphics?  Most of the code necessary is in the XFree86 Xserver.  We could
just yank out most of the driver and graphics card drivers from XFree86's
latest 3.95.16 snapshot.  We could make a set of FreeBSD lkm's that we
could load on demand if necessary.  This would enable us to have something
like Linux's `fbcon'.

The idea is to separate the graphics drivers from XFree86, and have them
running on the console.  Then, when startx is invoked, the rest of the
Xserver code would just load.  That way, some sort of graohics graphics
could be running all the time, and the Xserver would just dynamically link
with the console grahics when `startx' is invoked.  But, the graphics
driver would be running all the time, and we could use this graphics mode
in lieu of the basic text mode that is in most VGA cards.  I've heard that
the VGA standard wants to get rid of text mode, and just go with graphics
mode anyway.

With the idea above, a `partial' Xserver would always be running as part
of the system console.  Of course, it's not a full Xserver, so it wouldn't
be as bloated as actually fully running X with startx.  The `full' Xserver
would only come into play when startx is invoked.

- Donn