Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 2006 20:10:07 +0100
From:      John M Collins <jmc@xisl.com>
To:        Bruce M Simpson <bms@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-i386@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/103624: Problem installing on Dell Powervault 745N

--=-KnhKRk45N/Q4lBWiYPZR

Thanks - I'll go back tomorrow and do that and report back what it says.

I had a lot of trouble with a brand new Dimension 9200 as well at the
same customer with some funny RAID controller on. However Dell said they
don't support anything but Windows on it and we'd have to go to Intel
and ask them about the controller. Then Intel said it was a botched-up
Dell controller pretending to be theirs. Then Dell said shut up and go
away (in effect).

However the customer is in a reasonably strong position as his order had
"to be used for Linux/Unix" on it.

On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 18:07 +0000, Bruce M Simpson wrote:

> Synopsis: Problem installing on Dell Powervault 745N
>
> State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
> State-Changed-By: bms
> State-Changed-When: Mon Sep 25 18:05:31 UTC 2006
> State-Changed-Why:
> We need more information about this beast.
>
> >From what little from-the-hip google research I have done, I
> learn that this thing is a Pentium 4 machine with a SATA backplane.
>
> What we'd need to know is what kind of controller it has.
> For that, it may be best if you can load and run FreeBSD via CDROM
> or possibly FreeSBIE -- we need to get the system up to single
> user from a CDROM or NFS or ram disk, run pciconf -lv and get
> the IDs of the RAID controller which is being problematic.
>
> Hope this helps!

John Collins <jmc@xisl.com> Xi Software Ltd www.xisl.com
6 West Burrowfield, Welwyn Garden City, Herts, AL7 4TW
Tel: 0870 1163814 (Direct) 07799 113162 (Mobile)
International: +44 1707 886110 (Direct) +44 7799 113162 (Mobile)

--=-KnhKRk45N/Q4lBWiYPZR--