Date:      Sat, 12 May 2001 22:02:31 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>
To:        Nuno Teixeira <nuno.teixeira@pt-quorum.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: load averages - the meaning

On Sat, 12 May 2001, Nuno Teixeira wrote:

> I don't know if this is the right list to make my question. If it doesn't
> please forgive me.

freebsd-questions is the proper list for general questions.  Please use
that list in the future.  Please note that I've moved this reply to there
in an effort to cut down the noise on -stable.

> Well, the question is related to "load averages" that we see in "w", "top"
> and other system utilities. I have look at this programs man pages but I
> don't find the really meaning of it.

In the first paragraph the w manpage, it says:

The load average numbers give the number of jobs in the run queue averaged
over 1, 5 and 15 minutes.

Simply put, this is the average number of processes waiting to run
something at a given time.  It doesn't tell you a whole lot about the
real load of the system if you only look at the load average.

> In this momment I am doing a "make -j4 buildworld" in a X11 envirement
> (XFree86 / IceWM) on my Cyrix 200 and the load averages are about 4.88.

Because you are telling make to start 4 simultaneough processes for your
compile, it makes sense that your one processor would usually have about 4
jobs in the run queue at most times duting the compile.

If you go into /usr/ports, and to 'make -j32 readmes', you will get about
32 load average while 32 processes are building a readme file, etc.

> What the limits of load averages and what the danger values and in what
> that this values are based.

The reasonable maximum will depend on what these processes are actually
doing.  The aforementioned readme build, or background mp3 encoding, etc.
will work very nicely.  32 simultaneous huge high-priority processes might
not be so kind.  BSD should still handle the load gracefully, though.  :)

Later......						<Doug>