Date:      Sat, 7 Jul 2001 23:12:31 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@acadia.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPFW/NATD or Cable Modem Trouble??

No where near being a FreeBSD or network guru, but it seems to me that
if the gateway for your ed2 interface goes down, and you are trying to
telnet to the IP (or a hostname associated with the IP) of the ed2
interface, it *will* route through the ed1 interface to ed2, but ed2
will have to be able to reach its gateway (the router that cannot be
reached) in order to accept any connections.  If you telnet to a
hostname or the IP associated with ed1, it should be fine.

Keep in mind, I am assuming you are connecting from within your
network (ed1 side) to your 'gateway' (connecting your internal network
to the cable modem), but actually telnetting to the gateway (ed2)
interface.

To my understanding, this is normal behavior.  I have seen it before
on various unices.  I doubt NAT will change this behavior either.

HTH

Lou
On 07/06/01 04:26 PM, Mark Kobussen sat at the `puter and typed:

--
Louis LeBlanc
leblanc@acadia.ne.mediaone.net