Date:      Fri, 6 Apr 2007 05:30:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lack of FreeBSD coverage in the UK media

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007, Ivan Voras wrote:

> Robert Watson wrote:
>
>> Some things that might be neat to see articles about in the next six months
>> as 7.0 approaches:
>
> I've had quite a few hits on my little summary "what's cooking for 7.0"
> page, so I concurr the people are interested.
>
> I suggest to make an official section on the www.freebsd.org web which will
> host these kind of articles. Sort of tied into the release system, so in
> addition to the usual "Release notes", "Errata", "Supported platforms" and
> other documents, each .0 version would have a "Highlights" section (one or,
> preferebly, more pages) with a high-level to mid-level description of the
> new (non arch-specific) features, presented as "selling points" for the
> whole RELENG branch.
>
> I know that there's a short paragraph or two about new features in the
> release notes currently, and I think this should stay, but I really think
> there's a need for longer articles hosted on the official (i.e. not on
> third-party) web site.
>
> If this passes in some form, I volunteer to write about the storage-oriented
> things such as gjournal, ZFS & similar.

I agree.  The release notes are a great technical reference, but they are
hardly marketing pieces.  It would be good to see media- and human-friendly
articles highlighting the new features in a release (and their importance), as
well as articles on specific topics.  The same thing is true of the status
reports vs. commits, btw: sometimes making a list sorted by interest as
opposed to by integration date is important. :-)

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge