Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 1995 00:06:42 -0800
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami/=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?=)
To:        chaos@rivers.oscs.montana.edu
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: non-initial installation

 * ***NOTE TO SOMEONE WHO KNOWS A LOT ABOUT THESE PORT INSTALL METHODES:
 * I believe that this not only build the files but installs (make
 * install) them.  However they do not show up with pkg_info -a.
 *
 * Does anyone know how to/where to fix this at?  This and fixing the uemacs
 * port are my next too little assignments.

I've thinking about this for a while.  I think it would be very useful
if we can make it possible to "deinstall" ports from the ports dir by
using the Makefile and pkg/PLIST, as there should be enough
information in there to determine which files should be deleted.

Currently I do a "make package" and "pkg_add" following a "make
install" to ensure the package is registered (so that I can deinstall
it).  But this is kinda redundant.

Another idea is to automatically "register" the port into
/var/db/ports when we do "make install" by copying the PLIST file with
appropriate modifications.  Then we don't have to touch pkg_delete.
Also, this way we can ensure we have the right version of the packing
list when we do a deinstall.

What do people think?

Satoshi