Date:      Sat, 14 Jul 2001 03:36:06 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Francisco Reyes" <lists@natserv.com>, "FreeBSD Questions List" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: How to troubleshoot freeze?

I hope you don't take this wrong but if this is true then you haven't been
running networks very long.  Windows and other operating systems freeze
even more commonnly than FreeBSD does - if your going to limit the OS
choices you use based on their propensity for freezing then you should
be limiting Windows ones even more.

>How does one troubleshoot a freezing machine?
>Tomorrow I plan to run a hardware check program, tufftest, to see if it
>finds anything wrong. Other than that I can't think of anything else to
>try.

troubleshooting freezing is done like any other troubleshooting - you
start by gathering information, then you make a hypothesis of what the
cause is based on the information, then test and see if your correct.
Repeat for as long as it takes to either fix the system or decide to
abandon it.

Running a hardware check program is good but most of the check programs aren't
as hard on the systems as the OS is in my opinion, so don't be disappointed
if the check program turns up nothing.

Even better is to determine what, if anything, has changed on the system or
the
environment the system is in, at the same time that your problems started.

Did you change clients on the net?  Did you add or remove a hub on the net?
Did you change software on the machine?  Did a power spike come through and
zap half of the equipment?  Did your local power company start rolling
brownouts this week?  Did you notice a funny smell like something burning
that started around that time?  Did your air conditioning die?

Another piece of information that needs to be obtained is to find out if
the freezing is hardware or software related.  The best way to do this is
to obtain another PC and swap hard disks with the system in question.  If
the FreeBSD server doesen't freeze any more when it's running on a different
hardware platform, then you know the problem is bad hardware.  If it keeps
freezing, then it's most likely a software problem.