Date:      Fri, 2 Nov 2001 21:02:44 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lockdown of FreeBSD machine directly on Net

Gary W. Swearingen <swear@blarg.net> types:
> Ben Eisenbraun <bene@klatsch.org> writes:
>
> > change that to yes, HUP sshd,  and it will allow root to login directly
> > via ssh.
> >
> > NOT RECOMMENDED.
>
> I'd like to why.  I'd think that if you can't trust ssh you might
> as well give up.  I'd think the tiny reduction in risk (if any) would
> not be worth even the few extra seconds it takes to do the "su" and
> password entry.
>
> IF we assume ssh is secure, isn't it as safe to login as root via ssh as
> at the system console?
>
> Or do people recommend that that not be allowed either?

Yup.

Someone logging in as root - no matter where - is completely
anonymous. Su leaves an audit trail. If you're the only one who has
the root password and in group wheel, then it doesn't matter much. If
there's a group of such people, then the audit trail is important.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.