Date:      Sat, 13 Mar 1999 04:12:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: O'Reilly article: Whence the Source: Untangling the Open  Source/Free Software Debate

Brett Glass said:

> >John Dyson is moving into the area of good non-GPL advocacy; I wish
> >he'd pull the rug out from under them while pointing at the flying
> >saucers a little more often, though.
>
> Perhaps John Dyson could be appointed the spokesperson on licensing
> matters, if he's willing. (He's doing it already.)

No way.

What we really need is a carefully constructed research paper on
the various licensing terms, and the ramifications of each.  I am
not the right person to do that.

After the creation of that paper, then we need to accumlate the
text of each license, and create a magazine article, using the
research paper and the license text (properly credited) as source
material.

The mag article would talk about the various aspects of software
licensing in what is the traditional "free software" world.  For
example, a table would be created, describing in short and clear
terms the freedoms (I hate that word) and limitations for each
person in the foodchain, given several kinds license.

The key to understanding the licenses is to be able to picture the
flows of source code, binary, money, etc for each person in the
pipeline.  Also, it needs to be clarified what the predominant
modes of profit are with each form of license, the ownership and
control issues, and the relicensing issues.

This would be an interesting undertaking, and I would be willing
to provide information for some of a mag article, but am not
willing (or able) to write it.  I suspect that spending a few
hours with a draw package, I could produce some interesting info
about some of the licenses.  (BTW, this wouldn't necessarily be
PRO-BSDL, but would inform so that the right choice for a given
situation could be made.)

My whole thing about licenses isn't that any one license is the
"right" one, but that people must make informed choices.  It is
a responsibility of those who have influence to provide information
for the choices.  The problem with this license thing is that
there are too few people with that responsibility associated
with noteriety, who are being open and straightforward enough to
do proper justice to their userbase.

dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid