Date:      Sat, 9 Feb 2019 10:16:06 +0100
From:      Matthias Fechner <idefix@fechner.net>
To:        Anders Jensen-Waud <anders@jensenwaud.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Expand capacity of raidz1 pool

Am 08.02.2019 um 23:44 schrieb Anders Jensen-Waud:
> Hello there
> I have a 1 TB raidz1 pool on FreeBSD 11 (root on separate volume). I need more capacity and am looking to migrate to a mirror with 10 TB (min).
> How do I migrate the raidz1 pool to a new pool?
> Constraint: I only have capacity for 4 drives in the machine. 3 are currently occupied (root is on a small ssd). This will be important during the migration period.

you can enable autoexpand on the pool:
zpool set autoexpand=on tank

Insert a new disc, create partitions and replace disc by disc with:
zpool replace tank /dev/sdx /dev/sdy

After the disc is replace continue with the next disc.

With these steps you should be able to migrate to new discs without
losing data.

If you have important data on disc, you should have a backup before you
start.

Good luck.

Gruß
Matthias