Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 1999 09:51:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Chris Stenton <jacs@gnome.co.uk>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: old version of PAM in 3.0-stable  stopping Samba working?

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, Chris Stenton wrote:

> in /etc/pam.conf. However,  as pam_pwdb.so does not exist in the FreeBSD
> implementation the above can't be used. I tried
>
> samba   auth    requisite       pam_cleartext_pass_ok.so
> samba   auth    required        pam_unix.so                     try_first_pass
> samba   account requisite       pam_cleartext_pass_ok.so
> samba   account required        pam_unix.so                     try_first_pass
>
> but all I got was an unresolved symbol error for pam_sm_acct_mgmt from the pam
> library.
>
> Is the PAM library out of date or am I doing something wrong?

Many of the Linux PAM modules were judged to be utterly horrific
(besides being somewhat linux specific) so were not brought in
with the PAM library.  Thus at the moment, our PAM modules are
rather minimalist.

Comment out the account lines and see how it works.  The problem
you hit is that pam_unix only implements authorization and not
account functionality.

-john