Date:      Fri, 13 Feb 2004 19:51:33 -0800
From:      Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Migrating users and passwords from one system to another

Greetings again. I'm kinda surprised that this isn't an FAQ, but...

How do I move users and passwords from a current system to a new one?
Is it sufficient to move /etc/master.passwd and /etc/passwd, or are
there other things?

I'm moving from an oldish 4.8 system to a brand new 4.9 system, and
want to have all the users set up on the new machine before I start
rsyncing everything over so that the users and groups come out right.

--Paul Hoffman