Date:      Thu, 25 Nov 1999 00:38:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Andreas Braukmann <braukmann@tse-online.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MCA-support - IBM PS/2 Model 70 to be donated?

Hi.

I'm the only MCA developer at this point so I guess you're talking to me.
(Unless someone else wants to step up and lend a hand. :)

On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, Andreas Braukmann wrote:
>  ... I'm in the process of putting my hands on an elderly
>  IBM PS/2 Model 70 machine. The machine was duty as
>  a very reliable and stable Netware server for many many years and
>  was retired just a few weeks ago.
>  It contains:
>     the base-unit ;)
>     i486
>     8 MByte RAM
>     VGA graphics

I've got some problems to work out with the keyboard controller before the
graphics console is of much use.

>     on-board SCSI hostadapter

This isn't supported.

>     2 * ca. 200 MByte SCSI harddisks
>     additional Adaptec 1640 (formerly used for an external DDS-drive)

The Adaptec is supported.  I have my m77 dual booting DOS and FreeBSD
right now; DOS is on the onboard SCSI and FreeBSD is on a disk hanging off
the Adaptec.

>     SMC NIC

I've got a bus front end that currently has problems; this may be due to
the card being broken but is most likely due to something I've missed.  I
need to pull the card and replace it, and test the front end with a
WD8013/A.

Is your card an 8003 or an 8013?

> If I'll eventually be able to 'aquire' the beast, I would like to
> loan (or even donate) the machine to the FreeBSD MCA effort.

That probably isn't needed; I have more than enough hardware at this
point.  (I'll put up a picture of my MCA card collection at some point
just to prove it.)

What I do need are testers.  Get the machine and compile an MCA kernel for
it; copy to the boot disks and try installing.

I should probably update LINT and GENERIC since the MCA support is
somewhat usable at this point.

Thanks for the offer of hardware though!

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
| winter@jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |