Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 17:17:19 -0600
From:      David Drum <david@mu.org>
To:        freebsd-database@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which is Better for MySQL  FreeBSD or BSDi?

Quoth Nicole Harrington:

> Well in the hope that this list is not dead...

As one can verify via the list archives, that is not the case.

>  My question> for running MySql, which would be better, FreeBSD or BSDi?
>  I Thought I had heard that BSDi would be better.
>
>  Any opinions, thoughts?

As always, it depends.  Are you already familiar with one or the other?
Do you have the financial resources to pay for BSDi? Are you in an
enterprise environment where paid technical support is expected to
be available?  Are you running a large enough database application
that you will need a multiprocessor system?  (FreeBSD's SMP code is not
nearly as good as BSDi's, though soon that will be less true.  The same
goes for kernel threads.  (Someone please tell me if I am wrong on the
second point.))  If money is an issue, go with FreeBSD and get a really
fast CPU and most importantly a lot of RAM, so that you never swap and
you can fit the entire database indexes in memory.  Just my opinions.
For best results, try out your application under both OSes.

Regards,

David Drum
david@mu.org