Date:      Sat, 6 Jan 2001 11:08:50 -0800
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@mooseriver.com>
To:        Francesco Casadei <fcasadei@inwind.it>
Cc:        Rick Stanley <rstanley@rsi-ny.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installed User Base

On Sat, Jan 06, 2001 at 07:28:13PM +0100, Francesco Casadei wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 01:07:02PM -0500, Rick Stanley wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > What is the estimated number of FreeBSD installed systems in use today.  I
> > am curious to compare that to the number estimated for Linux.  If this is
> > published anywhere on the Internet, please direct me to the URL.
> >
> > Thank you for this information.
> >
> > Rick Stanley

> > end of the original message
>
> The purpose of "The FreeBSD Counter Page" project was exaclty what you asked
> for: to determine the world-wide installed base of FreeBSD users. I said
> "was" because following the link http://www.bafug.org/FbsdCounter.html from
> freebsd.org web site gives a 404 Not Found error!
> You may take a look at the "FreeBSD Release Usage Statistic" at
> http://www.freebsd.org/internal/statistic/release_usage/images/. This is not
> exactly what you want because the current usage values are extracted from the
> web log files at freebsd.org and do not include all FreeBSD systems in the
> world.
> Go to http://www.freebsd.org/internal/statistic.html for more information.

Hello,

I'm the keeper of the FreeBSD counter page. The reason you can't find it is
because we, that is BAFUG, are in the process of revamping the BAFUG page
as well as the Counter Page. You can find the Counter Page at

   http://www.bsdcounter.org/FbsdCounterPage.html

I have split the Counter Page away from BAFUG and setup a new domain,
bsdcounter.org and bsd-counter.org. The new site will be a counter of all
BSD OSS.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a | FreeBSD 4.2
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | www.bafug.net