Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 1997 13:47:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Stephen Hovey <root@buffnet.net>
Cc:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A method of inject news from an ISP?

On Tue, 11 Mar 1997, Stephen Hovey wrote:

> >  The model of downloading frequently read news groups from an ISP
> > and injecting them into a local server (as a cache) for later reading
> > seems perfectly reasonable to me...   The intent is not to "leach";
> > but rather to efficiently use my resources  (both hardware and wetware.)
> >
> > 	- Dave R. -
>
> Thats very self centered of you.  One is supposed to take into
> consideration the impact of whatever they intend to do might have on the
> other party or parties.  You obviously were told to cool it because you
> had a negative impact.

O.K, using slurp, which uses NEWNEWS can cause problems, but there are
other programs that will do the same thing without using NEWNEWS.  suck is
one of them, and there is at least one other that I've heard of.  They
function like a newsreader, including keeping a history file of what
message numbers in what groups have been downloaded, and using message-ID
to only download crossposted messages once.

Having a real newsfeed isn't an option for everyone, as we don't all have
dedicated connections.  I have done this in the past, using suck and
hoover (my own program, never distributed), because I've got a 5
computer, 5 user household, where everyone reads news, and having a
program pull down all the new news at 4am probably has less impact on the
ISP than having a line tied up all day as various people read news live.