Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2007 23:41:13 +0200
From:      Henrik Brix Andersen <henrik@brixandersen.dk>
To:        freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org
Subject:   JTAG recommendations?

--GRPZ8SYKNexpdSJ7

Hi,

Since I recently got a new notebook without a parallel port I can no
longer use my old parallel port based JTAG cable.

I searched the web for USB based JTAG cables with open source drivers,
but there aren't many of those available, it seems. The best match
seems to be the JTAGkey/JTAGkey-Tiny from Amontec [1] - a solution
based on the FTDI FT2232L USB UART IC (but I think these cables are
somewhat expensive compared to their complexity).

However, this leads on to the next problem. My old parallel port cable
is supported by the devel/jtag port from the openwince [2]
project. However, this software is quite a mess. It hasn't seen a
release since late 2003, new features are available as a mix of 3rd
party and upstream CVS patches, and it doesn't support any USB based
JTAG cables.

The JTAG software found in the OpenOCD [3] project, however, seems to
support USB based JTAG cables such as the JTAGkey - but it isn't in
ports yet, so I guess this is not what other FreeBSD developers/users
use?

My question - before I choose to either bite the apple and buy a
JTAGkey or construct my own USB JTAG cable - is: what do you
guys'n'gals use for your everyday JTAG needs? Which cable? Which
software?

I can't be the only one in need of an modern, open source friendly
JTAG solution :)

Regards,
Brix

[1] http://www.amontec.com/