Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2002 04:41:35 GMT
From:      "vanbo" <vanbo@whoowl.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   BIOS Hibernation and FreeBSD 4.4

OK, I have dug through the archives of both linux and freebsd lists trying
to figure this one out, so hopefully somebody here will have an answer to
this one...

I want to be able to use my IBM Thinkpad T21 BIOS's "Suspend to Disk" aka
Hibernation feature for FreeBSD.  I have tried many things to get this to
work, but I am always left with the same situation.  You press the function
key and the suspend to disk and nothing happens.  No beeps, no lights, just
acts like I never pushed it.

Here is what I have tried with results:
1) Created a hibernation file with Phoenix's phdisk.exe utility on the MSDOS
partition (slice 1) - this works fine if I boot off a DOS disk, but does not
work when I boot into FreeBSD.   Win2k also does not work (with bios
hibernation works with Win2ks built-in hibernation)
2) Created a hibernation partition (type 160?) with the phdisk.exe utility
and again works off a DOS floppy but not in Win2k or FreeBSD.  The utility
put the partition as slice 4 at the end of the drive.
3) Removed FreeBSD, removed hibernation partition, moved MSDOS partition
forward on the drive with Partition Magic, then used phdisk.exe to recreate
the hibernation partition.  This put the partition at the beginning of the
drive but again was slice 4 in boot record.  Installed FreeBSD, again will
not suspend to disk in FreeBSD or Win2k.

At this point I am stumpted.   It works from MSDOS (and Windows NT and
Windows 9x and possibly Redhat Linux as my coworkers can use the BIOS
suspend to disk) but it does not seem to work under Win2k or FreeBSD.

I know that Win2k and FreeBSD only use the BIOS to boot, could it be that
once booted the two don't pass all the functions to the bios?  I can hit
function suspend on the keyboard and FreeBSD will suspend (and resume)
without a hitch (win2k also), its just the hibernation that gets ignored.

I will gladly try patches or any other helpful ideas, but responses should
be sent to my email as I am not subscribed to the list.

VANBO