Date:      Sat, 25 Sep 2004 18:22:10 +0200
From:      Matthias Schuendehuette <msch@snafu.de>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IRQ-Routing for 5.3-BETA

On Saturday 25 September 2004 16:43, Matthias Schuendehuette wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> On Friday 24 September 2004 21:14, John Baldwin wrote:
> > Umm the list of IRQ numbers is the list of valid IRQs.  Your BIOS
> > is _ineded_ buggy.  Note that for the IRQ in question it says this:
> >

> > \_SB_.PCI0.LNKA irq   9: [  1  3  4  5  6  7 10 11 12 14 15]
> > low,level,sharable 0.1.0
> >
> > I.e., I'm using IRQ 9, but 9 is not in the list of valid IRQs which
> > includes 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10, 11, 12, 14, and 15.  Thus, the
> > kernel believes what your broken BIOS says and throws out IRQ 9 and
> > tries to use IRQ 10 instead, which your BIOS claims is open for use
> > even though you've told it its not. One thing you can try is a
> > patch Nate has to always treat ACPI's interrupt (IRQ 9 usually) as
> > a valid interrupt for the link device to use.
>
> Umm... this seems to be completely logic.
>
> I reconfigured my ISDN-Card to use IRQ2/9 (which was more simple than
> I remembered :-) and it works! Shame on me, sometimes it's really too
> simple...

This really works for FreeBSD 5.3-BETA5 of today, but it works *only*
with IRQ 2/9.

I also tried IRQ 5, which is not used by any other device (a least I
couldn't find any notice about irq5 in the boot -v messages but for
isic0), and this does not work with the same messages as with IRQ 10.

Somehow I have the uncertain feeling that the new IRQ-Routing code has
still some deficencies, at least for ISA-style IRQs...

But it's no longer a severe problem for me, so I can follow RELENG_5
again.
--
Ciao/BSD - Matthias

Matthias Schuendehuette <msch [at] snafu.de>, Berlin (Germany)
PGP-Key at <pgp.mit.edu> and <wwwkeys.de.pgp.net> ID: 0xDDFB0A5F