Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2000 12:12:35 +0300
From:      A G F Keahan <ak@freenet.co.uk>
To:        John Reynolds <jjreynold@home.com>
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some VMware progress. More questions (was Re: latest VMware port  dumping core. )

John Reynolds wrote:

> [ On Monday, July 24, Vladimir N. Silyaev wrote: ]
> >
> > It's looks like old problem with raw devices. Under FreeBSD it's impossible to
> > get real configuration of hard drive. And gueses about that not always right.
> >
> > In you situation it has a sense to read  the file
> > /usr/local/share/doc/vmware/Hints.FreeBSD and using not a raw device, but
> > plain disk. Required numbers you could get from configuration file for raw
> > device (and to do some work about substraction and addition on them).
>
> OK. I read through this and modified the .hda file accordingly:
>
>   DRIVETYPE       ide
>   CYLINDERS       39560
>   HEADS           16
>   SECTORS         63
>   ACCESS "/disk1/vmware/win98/disk.mbr" 0 63
>   ACCESS "/dev/rad0s1" 63 15374204
>   RDONLY "/dev/null" 15374204 39873329
>
> like the text suggests pulling the geometry out of dmesg info and the other
> config info from the slice editor in /stand/sysinstall for ad0.
>
> With this file in place, I was able to boot win98 from my existing hard
> drive. Windoze came up with the standard "searching for devices" bull crap and
> I just waded through that hitting cancel.
>
> I tried to install the VMware tools for win98. I followed all the procedures,
> but at the point where I was supposed to change video card drivers, I got
> stumped as the directions did not reflect reality as to what I was being
> presented. A JPEG screen capture of what I read and saw is at:
>
>  http://members.home.com/jjreynold/vmware_dump.jpg
>
> As you can see, I've clicked on the "Advanced" button and Adapter tab. I really
> want to click the "Change..." button but it's grayed out! Something bizzare is
> going on here. As you can also see, the dialog box is titled "(unknown device)
> properties". Does anybody have any clues as to what's going on here with this
> install? Win98 was installed "bare bones" and immediately I made vmware its own
> hardware configuration which I'm using as I boot from /dev/ad0s1 within vmware.
>
> At this point, I'm basically screwed for video drivers that are better than
> 640x480 because I can't change anything.

Have you tried booting Win98 in safe mode?

> General observations / questions:
>
>  o It is PAINFULLY slow. If I ever get the VMware tools installed will that
>    help? I've got TWO Pentium III 500Mhz CPUs and 256Mb of RAM in this machine
>    and the vmware window running win98 seems like when I used to run Windows NT
>    on a 486DX4 with slow ISA video card. With this much CPU, is the slowness I
>    see with VMware typical? Do other users see this much slowness? What can be
>    done to speed things up?

First of all, run it in full-screen (DGA) mode, if your adapter supports
it.   This would speed things up immensely.   Here I'm running WinNT on
a Pentium III 600 with 256Mb of RAM, and no-one can tell the difference
between VMWare and the real thing.   Once our local NT sysadmin had to
use my computer, and after 30 minutes he still didn't notice anything
unusual -- LOL!   In fact, access to the disk and CD-ROM seems to be
much faster under FreeBSD-powered NT (TM), because FreeBSD knows how to
enable UDMA66 on my drive and NT doesn't (at least not by default).

>  o In vain, I tried to access my CD-ROM which is a scsi device sitting on ahc0
>    target 3. If I tried to "install" this device inside the configuration
>    editor I instantly get a core-dump the next time I try to "power on" the VM
>    with the following message to the console:
>
>       /: write failed, file system is full
>       VMware Workstation PANIC: Slave process "SCSI0:3" died
>       VMware Workstation PANIC: BUG F(566):524 bugNr=3728
>       Panic loop

This is probably because your / partition is full.  VMWare creates a
large file in /tmp (slightly larger than the amount of RAM you
specified), which you can't see because it's unlink()ed.  You could try
symlinking /tmp to /var/tmp or another location that has more disk
space, and see if the problem persists.

Hope this helps

Alex