Date:      Fri, 22 Feb 2002 23:19:00 +0100
From:      Marc van Kempen <marc@bowtie.nl>
To:        Stacy Millions <stacy@millions.ca>
Cc:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best IDE for slow system?

Stacy Millions wrote:

> "Koster, K.J." wrote:
> >             When the going gets tough, the IDE's let you down.
>
> I'll second that! I have spent more time trying to fix IDE generated
> code then it would have taken me to write it in the first place.
>
> > As for IDE: I develop with FreeBSD's default vi and Ant 1.4.1.
> > Ant's only virtue is that it will work on all OS's.
>
> I thought I was the last of the vi die hards :-) One other plus
> for ant, at least compared to make, is speed. Because make will
> fire up a new javac (and therefore a new VM) for each source
> file it compiles, it can be quite slow. Ant just fire the compiler
> off in a thread of its VM, much faster. The first package I converted
> from make to ant contained about 350 source files. With make, a
> "make clean all" took about 35 minutes, the equivalent with ant
> is less then five minutes. That is on a celeron 333 running FBSD-stable.

Don't you guys know about jikes?

find . -name \*.java | wc -l
184 files

find . -name \*.java | xargs wc -l
37583 lines

find . -name \*.java | xargs javac
takes 36.5 seconds

find . -name \*.java | xargs jikes
takes 3.98 seconds

That's 9386 lines/sec compile speed.

(AMD 1.4Gh, FreeBSD 4.4)

Jikes is more than 9 times faster than javac, before we switched to Ant,
we just recompiled everything with jikes. Since it's still faster than
letting make do its work with jikes on individual files!

Jikes is even supposed to have some sort of incremental compile mode
where it keep's running and when you press enter in the terminal it's
running in, it recompiles the files you changed (I never tested this
mode).

Regards,
Marc.