Date:      Mon, 13 May 2002 09:53:09 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Nelis Lamprecht <nelis@brabys.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw problems

Nelis Lamprecht wrote:
> Hi
>
> In my ipfw ruleset I have got everything set to "allow tcp from any to
> $myip $myports setup". Would the 'setup - TCP packets only.  Match
> packets that have the SYN bit set but no ACK bit.'  deny me from ftp to
> certain servers ?

Do you also have "pass tcp from any to any established" somewhere in
your ruleset?  The "setup" one matches initial packets, if you don't
have an "established" rule, subsequent packets will be denied.

> Even with ports 20, 21 set to open when I enable my firewall it won't
> allow me to download anything  through the ports collection.

You have to do the ftp in passive mode, _after_ your rules are set up
correctly.
If you're still having trouble, post your _entire_ ruleset to the list,
your brief description of it isn't good enough for anyone to understand
the interaction of rules in your ruleset.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology