Date:      Tue, 15 Apr 1997 08:26:24 +0900 (KST)
From:      grog@lemis.de
To:        dan@dpcsys.com (Dan Busarow)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: Where is Sendmail PID?

Dan Busarow writes:
> On Fri, 11 Apr 1997 grog@lemis.de wrote:
>> Could it be that you're running a different version of sendmail?  The
>> standard place is /etc/sendmail.pid.  If it's not in either of these
>> places, are you sure that sendmail is really running?
>
> No, I'm seeing this too. 2.2-RELEASE
>
> safefopen in daemon.c is returning NULL.
>
> safefile(/var/run/sendmail.pid, uid=0, gid=0, flags=c6, mode=200):
> 	sequence:aliases.files NULL: valid
> 	No such file or directory
> stabapply: trying 1/8bit
> 	[final dir /var/run uid 3 mode 40755] Permission denied

This is telling you that your /var/run directory belongs to bin (user
ID 3), and that only user bin can write to the directory.  My sendmail
shows:

-r-sr-xr-x  3 root  bin  266240 Dec 11 18:19 /usr/sbin/sendmail

This is 3.0-CURRENT as of some time ago.  I suspect that your
permissions are different: either your sendmail doesn't belong to
root, or it doesn't have setuid permission (the s in the permissions
string).  You can fix this in a number of ways: set sendmail
permissions as above, or if your sendmail is running happily without
being root, you could change the permissions of /var/run to 775 (if
your sendmail is group bin) or 777 (otherwise; maybe not a good idea).
On the other hand, touching /var/run/sendmail.pid won't work past a
boot, since the boot process removes everything there.

Greg