Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 2002 18:21:37 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        jmd17@columbia.edu
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: gzip packages on FreeBSD 4-STABLE

--==_Exmh_-1767049314P

If memory serves me right, "John Daniels" wrote:
> Bruce Mah wrote:
> >As a side effect, this will once again allow older FreeBSD
> >installations to read recently-generated packages, although the
> >use of such packages is not officially supported.
>
> Can you please clarify this?

What my original statement means is that after we put the gzip package
support back the way it was and regenerate packages, you'll once again
be able to read 4.7 or later packages on 4.6.2 or earlier systems.
Using packages generated from a FreeBSD system newer than the one you're
trying to run them on is not guaranteed to work, and have never been
guaranteed to work.

> Does this mean that once FreeBSD has
> completed the move to bzip2 then installations running older FreeBSD
> versions that support/use gzip will have to upgrade to the latest
> FreeBSD version in order to download/use newly generated packages?
>
> In essence, 1) there is no backward compatibility, right? so 2) will
> it be possible to 'upgrade' an older FreeBSD version to bzip2 without
> upgrading the system as a whole?

The portmgr team is working on how to bring bzip2 package support to
older versions of FreeBSD without requiring you to update your entire
system.  Until that time, unless you're one of the people actively
working on the pkg_* tools or involved in release engineering, it's
probably easiest for you to pretend that we never tried bzip2 packages.

> Lastly, an unrelated question: is there a "roadmap" for what changes
> are planned in upcomming versions?  If so, where can I find it?

There's no one place for this information.  Some features for 5.0 (such
as SMPng and KSE) have or had design documents, but I'm not sure how
current they are.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-1767049314P

--==_Exmh_-1767049314P--