Date:      Mon, 30 Mar 2015 18:57:23 -0400
From:      Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS support for EFI

On 03/30/2015 12:28 AM, Rui Paulo wrote:

>> First, I've converted boot1.c (the EFI boot block) to use an FS module
>> framework.  This facilitates the addition of ZFS, and should also come
>> in handy if someone wants to add other functionality later (ie. crypto,
>> netboot, etc.)
>
> Good. :-)

Actually, would that be a good patch in its own right?  I could
certainly strip out the ZFS-related stuff for folks with UFS+EFI systems
to test.  (I only have ZFS drives myself)

> I have a crazy idea: why not use getopt() in loader.efi ?  getopt() is already part of libstand, so it should be easy to use it.
>
> Alternatively you can just use key value pairs.

I did a little more lookung.  Turns out, I had it wrong.  The old ZFS
loader loads and parses /boot/config, not /boot/loader.conf.

It appears that the existing EFI loader is ignoring /boot/config.  Is
that intentional, or just missing functionality?  (It would probably
make more sense to stash /boot/config or its analog on the ESP anyway.)