Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 1999 09:11:45 -0500
From:      "Steven Vetzal" <svetzal@icom.ca>
To:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: natd and ipmasq

> what's the difference between NATD dan ipmasquerading on LInux ?
> i thought that was the same.. is that true ?

I won't go much into natd vs. IP Masquerading, I see a couple people beat me
to the punch, but...

I wondered often about the functional differences between the two for quite
some time until I ran across someone running IP Masquerading on Linux
(haven't had the time to swap my gateway at home from FreeBSD to Linux to
check it out).

After looking into it, I discovered a few things. Mainly, the core IP
masquerading function in Linux seems to require several patches to allow
things like ping and traceroute to work through the gateway, whereas on
FreeBSD these things have been rolled into the core natd process.

In fact, recently on this list Ari was kind enough to point me towards the
natd development site, where I successfully compiled natd 2.0beta to allow
GRE (a tunnelling protocol) to also work through the FreeBSD gateway I'm
using. Again, to do this on Linux required either a couple patches and a
proxy program, or other wierdness.

Basically, as I've always found, FreeBSD has proven to be a far more
straightforward and stable platform for many purposes, firewalling and such.

I've been running it at home for about a year now on my cablemodem, and it's
been awesome. Best of all, I didn't have to spend $40K on a Cisco PIX 8^)

But I did know how to do PPTP through Linux IPMasquerading long before I
found out how to do PPTP through FreeBSD natd 8^)

Steve