Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 1997 18:09:57 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?= <ache@nagual.ru>
To:        "Mikhail A. Sokolov" <mishania@demos.su>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, "Alex G. Bulushev" <bag@demos.su>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: upcoming version suggestions

On Wed, 12 Feb 1997, Mikhail A. Sokolov wrote:

> There's really need to set FDSETSIZE (/sys/sys/types.h, afair) default
> to something like 1024, - then you don't need to recompile kernel as
							     ^^^^^^
						maybe you mean binaries
instead? -current kernel works without recompiling with any value.

> soon as you start news server and/or ftp/www, like, loaded one. Example:
> you won't get any improvements rearranging MAXOPEN value, before you
> rearrange FDSETSIZE.

I agree that we need to bump it, 256 is too low nowdays.
We need to check what other modern systems have, f.e.
SunOS 5.5.1 have FD_SETSIZE == 1024

> Another idea is to enlarge default for SOMAXCONN (/sys/socket.h).
> When you have something running  for it to be available to have more
> open passive tcp connections sumaltaneously. Example is Squid proxy cache{d}
> which uses this include in the listen().
>
> Comments are definetely appreciated.

Another idea is to increase max ptys number from 256 to 512
or 1024

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<ache@null.net>