Date:      Sun, 16 May 1999 22:13:15 -0000 (GMT)
From:      Jukka Simila <sjuke@saunalahti.fi>
To:        newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   great advance

Hi
I've had an impression that this list is for newbies to tell about experiments
with freebsd, and this weekend I've had an experience I wanted to tell
everyone, this is how I've spent few last days:

Last Monday, I noticed I'm running out of space on /usr, mainly because of my
/usr/mp3, and I was about to encode some more music, but I had no space. I've
had 2G partition for WinNT/95 together, but I haven't used them for months. (I
don't know especially why, maybe I just haven't needed Adobe or Kinetix
recently) So I noticed I have 2G practically unused space, filled with
microsoft stuff. There was 38 seconds hesitation.. and so, goodbye Windows. I
deleted the partition and started to think how to use the space I just had
released.

Then I ran into problems: because of the compability slice, that always points
to the first FreeBSD formatted slice on disk (I'm running 2.2.6, has this thing
changed in 3.1?) I couldn't just make one big partition for all my .mp3's .
After few hours thinking (while watching Ice Hockey World Championships - too
bad finland didn't win, they/we were second) I figured it out. Thanks to this
mounting stuff, I could duplicate my / to the first slice, and just mount my
old /usr and /var as new ones. (not so well explained but maybe this explains
it, my new /etc/fstab )

# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump    Pass#
/dev/wd0s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/wd0s1a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/wd0s2f             /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/wd0s2e             /var            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/wd0s1f             /mp3disk        ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/wd0s1e             /tmp            ufs     rw              2       2
proc                    /proc           procfs  rw              0       0
/dev/wcd0c              /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
/dev/wd1s1              /dos            msdos   rw              2       2

So, now i have 1.8 G free space, taken from microsoft windows, and now I'm not
running microsoft at all (unless one old dos 6.22 1.44M boot floppy counts).

The way i duplicated my old root directory to old, as root:
tar cf root.tar .
and then
tar xvpf root.tar /
(or something near that)

Any suggestions how could've I done the installation better way?

        Jukka  Simila

        EMail: ................juksi@iname.com
        IRC-nick: .............sjuke