Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 1995 17:37:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark Hittinger <bugs@ns1.win.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Progress so far on the Sig-11 problem (fwd)

> > It seems that John Dyson said:
> > > I am having problems reproducing the problem.  It takes quite-a-while to
> > > get it to happen, and only appears when I am running in less than 8MB.
> >
> > I have 32 MB and while  sed used to die  at startup, now xconsole and xload
> > die when I log with xdm. emacs die pretty often too.
> >
> Well, I have come across something interesting :-).  I can get -current
> to Sig-11, but my "-current" copy on freefall won't.  It seems that
> changes were made that I had not tracked -- but the two versions
> (my freefall copy, and a new, fresh one) have IDENTICAL vm stuff (plus
> or minus prototyping changes, etc.)  I am looking further....

I'm playing with this also.  Thanks to John for working on it.  I got the
problem to go away last week with a make world, but today's make world has
brought the problem back.

I am beginning to suspect that the problem is related to the way the system
boots, or the order that the boot happens.  The box that sig 11's has the
older rc setup without the sysconfig.  If I manually start things without
the automatic rc I can get the system to sort of run ok.  If I do the
automatic startup then you can't even log in.

I did the shared library ldconfig last.  Hopefully I am not on another
wild goose chase, but it looks like the sequence of bootstrap operations,
and the kinds of things which are done have some effect on the sig 11
issue.  *BTW this is a box that has the dma problem and must use bounce
buffers*  Could the clustering be broken on a box that needs bounce buffers?
How about a wrap around condition at the boundary?  (Just blue skying here)

When I play with the order of starting things the sig 11's do not occur.
I'm posting this in the hopes that it might give John that magic "oh yeah!!".

I will play with this some more tommorrow.

Regards,

Mark Hittinger
bugs@win.net