Date:      Sat, 11 Nov 2000 22:30:47 -0500
From:      "Kyle McMartin" <kylemcmartin@home.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   kernel panic when drive i/o is high

Hello, I have recently been struck with these problems with FreeBSD. When
building world/installing world, or X, or some other large program, my
kernel panic's and I get a system reset with the description, Giving up on 1
buffers.

The disk is an ATA66 WDC 15 GB drive, the IDE cabling is ATA66 compliant,
and I have run the disk check utility that came with the drive, and wrote
zero's to the drive, and have found no problems with the disk. I am at a
loss as to how this could be happening.

This is all using the GENERIC kernel, if the build/install goes well, I can
generally get a -STABLE system going and not produce these errors at all. I
believe this is problem is caused by SOFTUPDATES, which I disabled in my
kernel setup after having this problem a few times.

I am loosing my mind with this, as it is extremely irritating and forces me
to use Windows for longer than I would like. As far as I can recall, when I
did run Linux I never had this problem. Any responses or suggestions would
be happily received. Please email them to this account, as I am not
subscribed to the mailing lists at this time.

Thank you,
            Kyle McMartin