Date:      Wed, 03 Feb 1999 20:41:12 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Pedro Fernando Giffuni" <pfgiffun@bachue.usc.unal.edu.co>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux collections (was: Linux devel doesn't work with glibc

> > > I prefer the RPM port for the following reasons:
> > > 1. It is easier.
> >
> > Not notably.
> >

> FWIW, all the limitations of the native RPM port you mention are
> solvable.

*sigh*

No, they are not.

 - We can't put it in /bin.  We can't make it safely callable from /bin
   (no, a shellscript wrapper isn't enough).
 - We can't guarantee that anything that an install forks off will run
   in 'linux space'
 - We can't guarantee that the database will be where Linux programs
   want it to be.

Remember that we aren't the only caller that will be invoking RPM.

> I think it's a matter of taste, but I don't agree that we should
> carry a complete Linux system in the ports tree: I consider this
> bloat.

I don't think we need to carry "a complete Linux system"; we do need to
carry the libraries, and we need a number of support binaries because
there are basic expectations made by some of the applications we want
to run that we don't want to support in the native system.

> In fact we should symlink the linux shell to our native bash
> port.

The whole point of having a Linux bash is to be able to run shell
scripts in "linux space".  The same necessity underpins the need to have
a native Linux RPM.