Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 1999 09:56:03 +0900
From:      Seigo TANIMURA <tanimura@naklab.dnj.ynu.ac.jp>
To:        nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de
Cc:        Seigo TANIMURA <tanimura@naklab.dnj.ynu.ac.jp>, zinnia@jan.ne.jp, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Call for Review: Voxware midi driver for serial ports

[cc'ed to freebsd-multimedia]

On Tue, 13 Apr 1999 20:06:23 +0200 (MET DST),
  Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de> said:

>> I am writing on behalf of Tsuyoshi Iguchi-san<zinnia@jan.ne.jp>, who ported
>> the Voxware midi driver for serial ports from Linux to FreeBSD 3.1-STABLE
>> and 4.0-CURRENT(by me). With this driver, you get to plug your synthesizer
>> into the serial port to use playmidi, rosegarden and other popular midi
>> players and tools for VoxWare. I tried playing a midi sequence with heavy
>> exclusives using playmidi to get NO latency at all like sbmidi.

nox> Hey that sounds great :)  what is needed in terms of hardware, i mean you
nox> don't just make a cable that connects the midi to the rs232 lines right?

Since I had Roland SC-88, I purchased a serial port cable by Roland at a local PC shop.
Please have a look at http://www.edirol.com/music_equipment/roland_accessories/cable.html.
It costed around 1,500 yens or 22 DM, without the driver for Windows 95.

I have no idea for midi modules by the manufacturers other than Roland, sorry for that.
Could you give us some clues, Tsuyoshi-san?

Seigo TANIMURA           |M2, Nakagawa Lab, Dept of Electronics & CS
=========================|Faculty of Engineering, Yokohama National Univ