Date:      Sun, 06 Apr 2014 02:21:18 +0100
From:      Kaya Saman <kayasaman@gmail.com>
To:        kpneal@pobox.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Filesystems <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>, Vusa Moyo <vusa@tuxsystems.co.za>
Subject:   Re: Device Removed by Administrator in ZPOOL?

On 04/06/2014 01:28 AM, kpneal@pobox.com wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 06, 2014 at 01:12:33AM +0100, Kaya Saman wrote:
>> Many thanks for the response!
>>
>> The server doesn't show any lights for "drive error" however, the blue
>> read LED isn't coming on, on the drive in question (as removed from ZPOOL).
>>
>> I will have a look for LSI tools in @Ports and also see if the BIOS LSI
>> hook comes up with anything.
> Have you seen any other errors in your logs? Seems like if a drive fails
> there should be some other error message reporting the errors that resulted
> in ZFS marking the drive removed. What does 'dmesg' have to say?
>
> Once ZFS has stopped using the drive (for whatever reason) I wouldn't
> expect you to see anything else happening on the drive. So the light not
> coming on doesn't really tell us anything new.
>
> Also, aren't 'green' drives the kind that spin down and then have to spin
> back up when a request comes in? I don't know what happens if a drive takes
> "too long" to respond because it has spun down. I have no idea how FreeBSD
> handles that, and I also don't know if ZFS adds anything to the equation.
> Hopefully someone else here will clue me/us in.

Unfortunately I haven't seen any other errors.... I looked at dmesg but
it didn't say anything?

I'll try physically removing the drive and putting it back in again,
though I don't think it'll help.

....just done it. The blue light blinked for a second and then that was
it, dmesg doesn't show anything and the drive isn't showing up in /dev
either......